Wind turbines are increasingly becoming important as renewable energy source. Reliability and predictability of failures are critical factors for wind energy to be remain cost effective. Cost of unplanned repairs as well as lost revenue has to be prevented as far as possible. By implementing a continuous machine health monitoring system on wind turbines, can operators know when the generator, gearbox or turbine condition is deteriorating. Making this information available in a real-time web-base manner further eliminate the costly and time consuming need for travel.
A Motornostix Machine Health Surveillance installed in the head of the wind turbine improves the information to manage the availability of the total system.
Typical wind turbine failure mode detections:
- Turbine main bearing lubrication and bearing element failures
- Gearbox bearings and gears
- Coupling damage
- Generator bearing
- Over speed
- Tower vibration and modulation
- Excessive vibration
- Swing bearing surface damage
- Rotor magnet loss on 4th generation wind turbines
- Lubricant condition
- Advance stage current and voltage abnormalities
For more info on Machine Health Surveillance, or on wind turbines please contact us.